Tuesday, April 17, 2007

10

Dwayne decided to skip the obvious yet possibaly inexplicable question of 'how', and fast tracked to the consequent question of what he should do.
Jasmine gave him a look as if to say, "isn't it obvious?"
After a pause, the girl spoke, directing her voice through Dwayne.
"I must not be born. If you leave the island it will be completely out of your hands.
"No it won't," Dwayne retorted, "all I need to do is maintain my virgin status till all this is cleared up."

"You don't understand. I have already been conceived. From the moment you stepped on this island your DNA has seeped into the earth, creating me. Every second of every day you were depositing parts of yourself into the soil. Hair, skin, fluid, everything. Your DNA is unique. The island itself acts as an egg for your DNA. If you leave the island now, you will have no control over my existance."

"Ok, first, why don't we want you to be born or created or whatever? and second, how do we stop it if its already begun?"

"I am the reason the hole opened up. I create an imbalance between nature and the spiritual world. If it weren't for me, those Malganites wouldn't have escaped and mutated as they have. Dad, if the rest of the world could freely view the spiritual realm as you have, there would be no such thing as ignorant bliss. The world would live in fear, forever. The only way to stop me is to go back to the boat shed and...soliloquize. Only you will know what to do."

It took Dwayne the majority of the return journey to understand the girls last sentences. After establishing the meaning of 'soliloquize', he soon realised that he had to talk to the old man. When he arrived, the old man was fishing. Three decent sized fish hung taught on a line strung up between two trees.

"I thought you would turn up soon." The old mans voice was similar to Dwaynes but more husky with a touch of foreboding. "How is she?"

Dwayne quickly realised he was refering to his daughter and promptly uttered, "Fine."

"I guesse it's time then."

Dwayne watched as the man reeled in his line and staggered towards the boat shed.

(tag to Nick)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home